14-yr-old schoolgirl electrocuted while using iPhone in bed


Adereti - 17 November 2017, 21:31


VIDEO. Police in Vietnam are still to determine if the product which killed 14-year-old Le was a genuine Apple wire or a cheap imitation

VIDEO. A 14-yr-old schoolgirl electrocuted while using iPhone in bed
Le Thi Xoan was just 14 when she died (Image: Facebook)

SHARES

A 14-year-old schoolgirl has been killed after she rolled onto her iPhone's broken charging cable while she slept.

Le Thi Xoan was electrocuted when she was exposed to the live wires of the damaged cable.

She was found unconscious by her parents and rushed to hospital, but she could not be revived.

The teenager always charged her iPhone 6 next to her bed and police in the Vietnamese capital Hanoi found the burnt white cable.

The cable was found on her bed and officers believe a slight tear in the rubber casing may have revealed the live wires inside.

VIDEO. A 14-yr-old schoolgirl electrocuted while using iPhone in bed
Friends and family gathered at the girl's funeral (Image: AsiaWire)

Medics confirmed electrocution as the cause of death.

According to investigators, the police believe the girl had plugged her Apple device into charge and laid the iPhone 6 on her bed like she did every night.

Officers believe the tragedy likely struck as she slept and rolled onto the iPhone's charging cable, which had tears in it and which electrocuted her with the current.

The charging cable is being inspected but the authorities said they are yet to determine whether it was the original Apple wire or a cheaper imitation.

VIDEO. A 14-yr-old schoolgirl electrocuted while using iPhone in bed
The wire is being investigated by police (Image: AsiaWire)

In a picture showing the burnt cable, it appears to be shorter than Apple's original 0.5-metre (20-inch) charging cable.



See-through tape had also been wrapped around the front of the cable, suggesting that the victim may have been aware of the wear and tear but decided to continue using it.

By Kelly-Ann Mills
18:23, 16 NOV 2017 mirror.co.uk